Vocational or “working” skills include marketable skills, teamwork, and self-motivation.
Key research findings
- Participation in youth development organizations and career education programs can significantly improve vocational skills among youth.
- One study demonstrated that participation in a career education class positively influenced career decision-making, self-efficacy, and vocational skills such as completing a job application correctly among high school students.
- 4-H is a positive youth development organization that provides hands-on learning opportunities for youth in three areas (science, citizenship, and healthy living) that serve to promote the development of life skills.
- The Summer Training and Education Program (STEP) is a program designed to prevent risky behavior and reduce academic losses over the summer among disadvantaged adolescents.
- A study found that program participants demonstrated increases in academics (both reading and math) and contraceptive knowledge immediately following the program; yet, in the long-term many positive effects faded. No link available.
Take our quiz!
This short quiz will help you gain an understanding of your child’s development
as it relates to our whole child education model.